For years, I searched for balance. When it came to my work life/home, emotions, relationships, and other areas, things always seemed to be a bit off-kilter. The usual advice of ‘get more sleep’ or ‘just eat right and exercise’ wasn’t enough. Frustrated, I dove into yoga, meditation, and other practices.
It was through meditation that I discovered an ancient concept that helped me understand my body and my higher self much better than I ever had before. Once I fully grasped the meaning of the term ‘Chakra’ and could answer the question, ‘how do chakras work?’ finding life balance was no longer a quest. Like when a plumber unstops a clogged drain, there is no need to ask the water to flow. It does so naturally.
*Some of the links in my articles are affiliate links. To learn more, click here.*
What is the meaning of Chakra and how do chakras work?
The chakra system has always been a part of human existence as it is part of how we are made, just like having a heart or earlobes. The first written account of it was found in the Vedas, an ancient compilation of texts written in India between 1500 and 500 B.C. Like all words found in the Vedas,‘chakra’ is a Sanskrit term that means ‘disk,’ ‘wheel,’ or ‘vortex.’
The seven chakras are spinning wheels of energy that run up and down the spine. The first one is situated at the base of the tailbone, while the last is located just above the top of the head.
Each chakra has a separate position and serves a different purpose. By learning as much as possible about each chakra center, I became aware of a couple of things:
- Chakras are ‘regulators’ that influence every part of our body and have even been linked to disease;
- Each chakra has a five-part influence: emotional, energetic, physical, psychological, and spiritual;
- When our chakras are out of balance, both physical and mental issues can manifest;
- Although there are 7 universally accepted ‘main’ chakras, as many as 110 energetic centers are recognized by various sects;
- Each chakra is connected to a particular color (i.e., green, yellow, purple).
There are ways to rebalance your chakras through the personal practice of various techniques. Before I offer suggestions for how to do this, I want to provide information on each individual energy point.
What are the 7 Chakras?
Because each chakra is so unique, there is no way to cover them all in one short paragraph. If you want a complete energetic healing, you’ll have to learn how to balance all seven chakras. This starts with understanding their positioning and purpose.
So before diving deeper into balancing and healing chakra’s, first you’ll find more information about the position and purpose of each chakra.
Also known as Muladhara, the Root Chakra is found at the base at the tailbone and is the home of our instinctive intuition. It is the first of four physical chakras. It is our survival center and considered the first chakra since it is the first part of the spine that develops while we are embryos.
Safety, security, and basic needs are all connected to this energy center. Just like the roots of a plant, it is this chakra that grounds us.
Although I’m a very spiritual person, one thing I love about studying chakras is the scientific link. I often think of the Root Chakra as the connection to one’s childhood.
Psychologists theorize that when we are young, we rely on our parents to meet our most basic needs. When they don’t meet our expectations (physical or emotional), a deep sense of distrust can develop. This tends to follow us into adulthood and cause an imbalance in our Root Chakra.
In the healing section, I’ll discuss ways that this commonly manifests and what you can do to unblock your Root Chakra and start feeling ‘at home’ again.
If you have a problem pronouncing ‘S’ words, get ready to be tongue-tied! Just below your navel, you will find the Svadhishthana, the Sanskrit word for your Sacral Chakra. This energy center is all about self-expression. It is literally translated as ‘dwelling place of the self.’ I call it the ‘seat of the self as it deals with one’s sexuality, creativity, or emotional declarations.
Sticking with the child concept described above, imagine yourself around five or six years old. It is likely that during this time, you felt free to be you–the real you, your authentic self. This is why young children are naturally free and joyous.
For the most part, their chakras are flowing freely, and they are aligned with who they are. This sense of wholeness is something that many of us spend our whole lives striving to return to. It is possible.
If you have issues with boundaries, relationships, or deep connections, it’s likely that there is an issue with your Sacral Chakra. Balancing the second energy center can return joy and fulfillment to your life and increase the connection you have with others and yourself.
Solar Plexus Chakra
The third chakra, also known as the Manipura or the navel chakra, is your center of personal power. It is connected to your self-esteem, goals, desires, and truest intentions. It also is a storage place for your intellect and ego.
In my experience, the Solar Plexus Chakra is one of the most likely to fall out of alignment. This usually happens during the teenage years, but can occur at other times when we start to feel less than or not enough.
Do you remember Eeyore from the Disney classic Winnie the Pooh? Pessimistic at heart, he always walks with his head down in a depressive state and can’t seem to keep up with anything, especially his tail. It’s too bad they don’t know much about chakras in the Hundred Acre Woods as he could most certainly benefit from a Solar Plexus alignment.
If you deal with any of the following issues, it’s likely that you could too:
- Exposure to criticism and rejection
- Low self-esteem
- Co-dependency or addiction
- Lack of control over one’s self
Although the color of the Solar Chakra is a bright yellow, it is a fire element and is directly linked to the digestive system. This might seem like no big deal, but one thing I’ve found to be life-changing is new info surrounding the gut and your mental health.
For many years, scientists assumed that the powerful neurotransmitters that control our mood and overall wellness are only produced in the brain. It turns out that our gastro-area is like a second brain.
This is all the more reason to keep your Solar Chakra in check and functioning at an optimal level. It will empower you to follow your true path.
If you’ve never heard of any of the other energy vortexes, you certainly know about your Heart Chakra and the wonderful things contained there. Its Sanskrit name Anahata translates to ‘unhurt,’ and that is the thing that all of us strive for, especially after times in life that are difficult. To do this, we have to make sure that our heart is open.
Although that might sound like a no-brainer, we usually do the opposite. One example that we can all relate to is heartbreak. Whether it is rejection, abandonment, or losing someone that we love that causes intense pain, the outcome is the same.
This type of deep pain can cause us to shut down, sit in unforgiveness, and block everyone out in an attempt to prevent a repeat situation. Although this makes sense at the time, it rarely works and can cause a blockage of the Heart Chakra. What often occurs next is the opposite of what should be: jealousy, anger, resentment, and overall unhappiness.
There are so many simple ways to unblock this fourth chakra energy center, and most start with giving love. I know this sounds a bit cliche, but it is actually very powerful and can be accomplished through a few simple practices that I’ll share in the healing section.
Moving up from the center of your chest to your throat, you’ll find your Vishuddha or Throat Chakra. This is the first of three spiritual chakras and is the powerhouse of communication.
Other chakra centers deal with determining your truth but this vortex allows you to express it. When the energy is flowing, you’ll be able to tell others how you feel, listen effectively, and communicate feelings through art forms such as singing or painting.
One other important thing to know about the fifth chakra wheel is that it close to the area where karma is created.
For this reason, it is so important to make sure that our thoughts, words, and actions, are entirely aligned with what we believe to be true and right. Otherwise, a chakra blockage can occur.
So many people in relationships that aren’t going well think that they simply aren’t compatible with their partners but move on to find they have the same issues in the next partnership.
This is an issue with the Throat Chakra that, if corrected, can take your romantic relationships and partnerships to a new level.
Third Eye Chakra
Surely you’ve heard someone say they had ‘a sixth sense’ about something. What they usually mean is that they had a feeling about something that couldn’t be proven by the other senses, but turned out to be correct.
This phrase is connected to the sixth chakra, better known as the Third Eye Chakra. The Ajna, when opened, helps you make all the right decisions and know exactly what to do, no matter the circumstance.
I’ll never forget the story a friend told me of her experience with her Third Eye Chakra long before she ever knew what it was. This was in the early days of social media and long before dating apps were a common way to meet someone.
This friend met a guy on Facebook, and they messaged back and forth for several months. He lived in Florida and invited her to visit, even offering to buy a plane ticket.
Although she agreed, my friend felt that something wasn’t quite right. So, she declined the invitation and ignored his insistent and persuasive messages. Months later she was flipping through TV channels and saw a breaking news announcement.
She was shocked to see her former beau’s mugshot on the screen. He had been arrested as a part of a federal human trafficking ring. Trusting her intuition quite possibly saved her life.
You don’t need to have a dramatic experience like my friends to experience the wonders of your Third Eye Chakra. It is naturally open! All you have to do is keep it that way.
This intuition center is the key to your soul connection and also helps you take the inner knowledge and use it to your benefit. Trusting the ‘seat of your soul’ will allow you to tap into psychic abilities.
So, clearing this Chakra regularly is especially crucial for the clairvoyant or those with special gifts.
Do you want to know more about your spirit guides? Do you desire guidance from a higher power? You’ll want to make sure that your Crown Chakra is in tip-top shape!
The seventh and final chakra rests just above the head like a queen’s crown. The Sahasrara is our link to the entire universe and all around us, including our pure awareness.
I mentioned at the beginning of the article that the Root Chakra grounds us. The Crown Chakra connects us to the heavens.
If you are to grow spiritually, your 7th chakra has to be functioning normally. When this is the case, you’ll be able to transcend your ego and focus on the bigger picture. No longer will you be bogged down by negative emotions or egotistical desires.
It is important to remember that chakra work has to begin at the bottom and move upward. So if you’re having problems with your Crown Chakra, it is likely that lower-level energy centers are blocked or overactive.
By healing those first, your Crown Chakra will be easier to move into alignment with.
What are the chakra colors?
Each of the seven chakras has a color that represents it in the chakra system. As you meditate on each of these centers, you’ll want to envision the rotating discs as colorful vortexes of light.
In the beginning, this was difficult for me to do because I quickly forgot when color-matched to each chakra.
To make this easier, I use a common acronym that most people use to remember the colors in the rainbow: Roy G Biv. This silly name outlines each color starting from the root and moving to the crown.
- Root Chakra (Red Color)
- Sacral Chakra (Orange Color)
- Solar Plexus Chakra (Yellow Color)
- Heart Chakra (Green Color)
- Throat Chakra (Blue Color)
- Third Eye Chakra (Indigo Color)
- Crown Chakra (Violet Color)
Each of these colors indicates a certain emotional or physical component of the chakra system. For example, our emotions are represented by green, while our ability to communicate with others is blue. They can also embody different vibrational frequencies and auras seen in the electromagnetic field.
The only way to find overall balance is to make sure that all of our energy centers are balanced. This happens through the healing (unblocking) of chakras. Learning to do so will help pull overactive chakras into alignment and prevent physical and emotional manifestations of these problems.
There are some general ways to heal each center, and there are some specific ones as well. I find chakras healing to be a ‘trial and error’ process, and what works for one person won’t work for another. Keep reading to find out more info on how to find the right healing practice for you.
What is Chakra Healing and how to unblock Chakras?
When chakras are unbalanced, they are described as ‘underactive’ or ‘overactive’.
Underactive chakras are ‘blocked’ or not distributing energy in an unstable way. To heal them, we must find ways to open them up.
What’s interesting is that one blocked chakra affects the entire system. If one energy center is not flowing correctly, one or more of the others will find a way to compensate for this.
When this happens, surrounding chakras become ‘overactive’ and kick into overdrive. Although this might seem like a big deal, it can cause issues that are just as challenging as a blocked chakra.
By unblocking the chakras that are less open than they should be, we can bring our body and mind back into balance and reach our highest potential. There are many ways to do this, the most common being meditation and yoga, but there are other ways as well.
Since the process is slightly different for each individual chakra, I’ve outlined some general tips below and I’ve created a quick overview of how to heal each of the seven centers.
One fast and effective way is using the Chakra Activation System. Via this system, Stephanie Mulac guides you in clearing out your chakras faster than you ever thought possible. You’ll learn how to blast through the energy blocks that are holding you back and are keeping you stuck.
Others who worked with Steph’s system, feel absolutely healthy, brimming with confidence and raring to go.
1. Chakra Healing Meditation
I mention this one first because it can be key in doing two different things. The first is healing what caused the blockage in the first place.
For example, if childhood trauma caused your Root Chakra to close, you’ll need to deal with that before you’ll be able to fully open the energy center. The practice of meditation can help you get in touch with your higher self and reveal areas of pain that need to be addressed.
Then, you’ll be able to use guided chakra meditations to focus on tuning each one of these centers to a specific healing frequency. If you’re not sure where to begin, I suggest watching the video above, picking up any one of Dr. Joe Dispenza‘s books, or downloading his guided meditations. BOTEC 1 focuses specifically on chakras.
2. Chakra Healing Essential Oils
When I first started to heal my chakras through meditation, I did so unknowingly. I also found myself drawn to certain scents that I had never paid much attention to before, lavender in particular.
It wasn’t until I started studying aromatherapy that I realized how certain smells are directly connected to specific energy centers. It turns out that lavender embodies the Crown Chakra.
Using lavender essential oil in a diffuser has helped me to heal my Crown Chakra and stay in tune with this energy center. Here are some others to consider:
- Root Chakra: Patchouli or Myrrh
- Sacral Chakra: Rose or Sandalwood
- Solar Plexus Chakra: Juniper, Lemon, or Cedarwood
- Heart Chakra: Rose or Jasmine
- Throat Chakra: Peppermint or Chamomile
- Third Eye Chakra: Rosemary or Clary Sage
- Crown Chakra: Lavender or Rosewood
3. Chakra Yoga Poses
Like meditation, yoga is a great practice for those wanting to heal their chakras. I’ve found it really beneficial for releasing ‘stuck’ energy that needs a boost so that it can be expelled from the body.
If you’ve never tried yoga before, no biggie. Just find a beginner’s class near you, grab a mat, and give it a go. If you’d rather try at home, here are some poses for each energy center.
- Root Chakra: Garland or Mountain Pose
- Sacral Chakra: Revolved Triangle or the Goddess Pose
- Solar Plexus Chakra: Boat or the Half Lord of the Fishes Pose
- Heart Chakra: Cobra or Camel Pose
- Throat Chakra: Plow or Fish Pose
- Third Eye Chakra: Dolphin Pose or Sun Salutations
- Crown Chakra: Balancing Butterfly or Corpse Pose
4. Chakra Healing Music
Using music in connection with meditation and/or yoga is one of the best ways to jumpstart the balancing of your chakras. One thing that few people realize is that there is a frequency with which our body naturally resonates.
For this reason, any music that is tuned to 432Hz automatically becomes soothing and healing. A quick iTunes or youtube search of Hertz 432 music will present tons of options that you can use in connection with other practices. Tibetian Singing Bowls are another good alternative.
5. Chakra Healing Stones
Chakra healing stones are all the rage. I own several gorgeous healing stone jewelry pieces, but you can also purchase individual stones if wearing chunky pieces isn’t your thing.
The easiest way to choose which stones to select is to match the color of the stone to the specific energy area that you are trying to heal. For example, a red jasper would work for balancing the Root Chakra while a sapphire would work better for Third Eye Chakra issues.
Chakra Healing tips for every Chakra
I’m going to preface each one of these healing sections with a few descriptive words that suggest the need for chakra balancing. If none of these words seem to fit with your current state, you can work on balancing anyway (it can’t hurt) or move on to the next section.
Root Chakra Healing
Overactive Root Chakra symptoms: Fearful, insecure, overly materialistic, and resistant to change
Underactive (blocked) Root Chakra symptoms: Lacking security, anxiety disorders/panic attacks, codependency, fear of abandonment, rage, or feeling disconnected from one’s body
Root Chakra Healing Tips:
- Get out in nature! By grounding yourself and reconnecting with the earth, you’ll encourage your body to trust again. A nature walk, taking a dip in a spring, or just hugging a tree are simple things that can open your Root Chakra.
- Do a grounding exercise. While you’re on your walk, visualize yourself pushing your energy down through your feet and into the earth. This will strengthen your connection.
- Try earthy essential oils. Cedarwood and sandalwood are good choices for healing this energy center.
Sacral Chakra Healing
Overactive Sacral Chakra symptoms: Emotions are all over the place, attracted to drama and chaos, lacking personal boundaries in relationships and friendships
Underactive (blocked) Sacral Chakra symptoms: Lack of creativity and motivation, emotional confusion, no desire for sex, fertility issues, dysfunctional relationships
Sacral Chakra Healing Tips:
- Sound therapy. The sound ‘VAM’ is connected to the Sacral Chakra and the frequency 288 HZ. Finding music or noise set to this frequency will help boost your healing.
- Crystals for chakra healing. If you’re looking for a way to balance your second chakra, try using moonstone, amber, and tangerine quartz.
- Healing foods. Believe it or not, there are certain foods that can help your chakras flow properly. If you’re having problems with your Sacra Chakra, try eating tangerines, carrots, mangos, and other orange-hued foods.
Solar Plexus Chakra Healing
Overactive Solar Plexus Chakra symptoms: Aggressive and angry, perfectionistic or overly critical of oneself or others
Underactive (blocked) Solar Plexus Chakra symptoms: Serious self-esteem issues, indecisive, timid, lacking self-control or self-confidence, and issues with the digestive system
Solar Chakra Healing Tips:
- Affirmations. Because they can boost self-esteem and overall good feelings positive affirmations are a good place to start with healing a solar plexus imbalance. Some examples include “I am worthy of my own self-love” and “I am perfect just as I am.”
- Super self-care. One of the main reasons this chakra gets block is because of the tendency to focus on helping everyone but ourselves. Instead of looking outward, focus on taking care of you. Say ‘no’ instead of yes, do things that make you happy, and put your own needs first daily.
- Pilates. There are certain pilates exercises that target this energy center, so I find that this kind of exercise is a good place to start when restoring balance.
Heart Chakra Healing
Overactive Heart Chakra symptoms: Being clingy in relationships, lacking a sense of self, lacking boundaries, letting everyone in, saying ‘yes’ when you really mean ‘no’
Underactive (blocked) Chakra symptoms: Being cold, distant, and unable or unwilling to open up to others, grudgeful or unforgiving
Heart Chakra Healing Tips:
- Forgiveness. This is the first step to unblocking your Hearth Chakra. If you are imbalanced in this area you almost certainly have some forgiveness work to do. Remember, this isn’t for or about whoever hurt you. It is about releasing stored energy that is blocking your flow and keeping love out of your life.
- Go green. Green, not red, is the color connected to the heart chakra. Wearing green, eating green foods, and buying green crystals can assist you on your journey to being open to love and light.
- Give more. Push yourself to give to others. Give your time, your money, understanding, an ear to listen, and anything else you have to contribute to this world. Doing so will open your heart full-force.
Throat Chakra Healing
Overactive Throat Chakra symptoms: Too talkative, poor listener, highly critical of other people, verbally abusive, condescending
Underactive (blocked) Throat Chakra symptoms: Introverted, shy, having difficulty speaking the truth, unable to express needs despite one’s desires
Throat Chakra Healing Tips:
- Journal. If you have an imbalance in your fifth chakra center, journaling might not appeal to you. If that’s the case, then you have even more motivation to write down your inner thoughts. This brings awareness which is the first step to chakra balance.
- Sing it loud! This is one I’ve been doing as I work on opening up all seven chakras. I loved to sing as a little girl and I’ve found it to be a healthy way to express myself, even as an adult. –Side note: You don’t have to possess a good singing voice. Just roll the windows up in your car and belt out the tunes where no one can hear!
- Breathing techniques. When you find yourself dealing with this type of imbalance, slow and controlled breathing can help you control your emotions so that you don’t speak out of turn. Doing this will help other areas as well.
Third Eye Chakra Healing
Overactive Third Eye Chakra symptoms: Lacking good judgment, unable to focus, prone to hallucinations, unrealistic/living in a fantasy world
Underactive Third Eye Chakra symptoms: Closed off to new ideas, too reliant on authority or religion, disconnected or distrustful of one’s inner voice
Third Eye Chakra Healing Tips:
- Get into art. Even if you aren’t super creative, it is good to practice something that will bring this out in you. Creativity helps increase your intuition and will balance your chakras, especially if it is something you really enjoy.
- Visualize. Spend time visualizing the color indigo while you’re meditating. Doing this will help you tap into the power that your third eye contains.
- Acupuncture. This ancient practice has way too many benefits to name! It can be especially helpful when trying to balance and heal chakras.
Crown Chakra Healing
Overactive Crown Chakra symptoms Addicted to spirituality, not taking care of bodily needs
Underactive Crown Chakra symptoms
Not very open to spirituality, unable to set or maintain goals, lacking direction in life in general
Crown Chakra Healing Tips:
- Study universal laws. Learning more about the Law of Attraction and other spiritual concepts can help you open your Crown Chakra. Even ten minutes a day will help significantly.
- Keep a dream journal. As this chakra opens, you’ll notice your dreams becoming more vivid. I actually record my dreams on my phone because it’s quicker than writing when I’m half asleep, but you can do a traditional pen and paper journal if you’d like.
- Perfect your prayer. This doesn’t have to be traditional. It can be directed toward God, the angels, or even yourself. As long as it is sincere communication, you’ll be growing your connection to what is outside of you as well as what’s within.
I get tons of questions about Chakras and I’m always happy to help. What I’ve found is that most of us have the same questions about our energy centers. For that reason, I’ve created a recap of these FAQs and provided a bit of info for each one.
The word ‘chakras‘ translates to ‘wheels’ or ‘disks.’ These energy centers run along the spine and keep our bodies functioning at an optimal level.
In our natural states, our chakras are open. It is when we start to have trouble in an area that we realize our energy centers may be blocked. To determine if your seven chakras are open, look at your life. If things are running smoothly, you’re good to go! If you seem to be having trouble in a certain area, you may have some chakra healing to do. Here you can find the symptoms of blocked chakras.
Opening all 7 chakras is like beating a level on a video game. It may take some time, but when you do it, you ‘level up.’ You will be able to feel elevated emotions, manifest desires, and connect to your higher self in a way that isn’t possible when chakras are over or underactive.
The chakras are energy. These spinning discs are where our energy is stored and they help fuel various parts of our body, mind, and soul with the energy needed to reach our highest potential. Because each one possesses its own color and vibrational frequency, they are deeply connected to our spirit, not just the physical body.
Chakra work is not a religious practice, nor is it anti-religious. The 7 chakras are a part of our body whether we are aware of them or not. Just like your appendix or your pituitary gland, there are things that you can do to keep your body healthy that has nothing to do with religious practice. Some of the techniques used to heal our chakras might be considered spiritual, but they are not connected to one deity or sacrilegious in nature.
Ready to start balancing your 7 Chakras?
By learning more about your energy centers, you have increased your knowledge of your self. Because healing your chakras isn’t a one and done process, you may need to return to this article again and again to gather more information. That’s okay!
Like me, if you’ve been struggling with the same problems for years then you’ve probably developed very powerful negative and limiting beliefs.
But the truth is that you CAN get around these blocks and manifest your destiny, no matter how great or small it is. It can be easy to clear out your chakras and realign them with the Universe IF you have the right tools and guidance.
Balancing your chakras is a complicated process, but getting all seven to function properly is one of the most fulfilling things you can do for yourself.
When all of your chakras are open you’ll be able to reach personal heights you never thought possible. I’d love to hear about your successes as you ‘level up’ by leaving a reply in the comments below!