Humans are social creatures, and we thrive on deep connections with those around us. However, how often do we actually have meaningful conversations? Of course, we all enjoy fluffy discussions about what’s on the telly or the latest celebrity gossip, but this can stop us from truly getting to know each other.
So, what are some conversation topics that allow us to have meaningful conversations with each other? In this article, I want to cover a range of conversation topics that we can all incorporate into our day-to-day lives, allowing us to form deep connections with those around us.
It can be hard to develop these conversational skills, but it is definitely worth it. Once you incorporate these topics into your life, you are able to really get to know those around you.
Conversation Topics For Anyone
Let’s look at some general conversation topics first, perfect to get to know anyone!
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- What are you thankful for right now?
- Can you remember your last dream?
- If you had one wish, what would it be?
- If you could delete anything from the world, what would you pick?
- What in the world makes you angry?
- What do you miss about being a kid?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- Has a total stranger ever made a huge impact on your life?
Conversation Topics For Dates
Are you going on a date and want to avoid the small talk? Do you want to really get to know the other person? Check out these conversation topics that are perfect for dates.
- Are you religious or spiritual at all?
- What is the biggest risk you have ever taken?
- Do you believe in luck?
- What are you proud of?
- What social cause do you really care about?
- Who inspires you the most?
- What is your favorite time of day?
- Do you ever wish you lived in a different era? If so, which, and why?
- If you were to write a book, what would it be about?
- Do you donate to charity? If so, which and why?
- Do you make New Year’s resolutions?
Conversation Topics For Friends
One thing I love about reading Tarot cards is the way it allows my friends to open up to me. I will do a reading for my friend, and they will begin to tell me all about their hopes, fears, and dreams.
Another way of allowing your friends to open up to you is to use certain conversation topics that help them pinpoint things that are bothering them. This can help you both bond, and discuss deep topics that you may have avoided otherwise.
- What lifestyle change would you like to make?
- What would your ten-year-old self think about you right now?
- If you could apologize to one person in your past, who would it be?
- What do you worry about the most?
- Do you think your life is going in the right direction?
- What is holding you back from being the person you wish to be?
- What is the best thing that has happened to you?
- What is the most dangerous thing you have ever done?
Conversation Topics For Couples
No matter how long you have been with your partner, there are always more things to learn. We may think that we know everything that we need to know, but sometimes, your partner can surprise you!
Let’s look at a range of conversation topics for couples that allow you to further the bond between you and your partner.
- If you could give your ten-year-old self a piece of advice, what would it be?
- Do you believe in mistakes? If so, what is the biggest mistake you have ever made?
- What are the best and worst parts of human nature?
- What is your idea of a utopian society?
- Are you excited about the future?
- What do you wish more people recognized you for?
- What are the top three things on your bucket list?
- What controversial issue do you feel strongly about?
- What do you think are the strongest and weakest parts of our relationship? How can we work together to improve these things?
- What weaknesses do you think you have?
- What is your earliest memory?
Conversation Topics for Work
It can be hard to know how to have meaningful conversations with the people we work with. We want to get to know our colleagues, but don’t want to overstep the mark. So, what are some great conversation topics for work?
- What is your favorite pass time?
- What non-work-related goal are you wanting to achieve?
- If you could choose any other job, what would it be?
- How do you wind down after work?
- Who would play you in a movie?
- What is the most important quality in a co-worker to you?
Conversation Topics For Kids
I believe that kids are much more thoughtful than we give them credit for! They are actually pretty in tune with the world, and we should have meaningful conversations with children that allow them to express themselves.
So, what are some conversation topics for kids?
- What new hobby would you really like to try out?
- What qualities make a good friend?
- What do you feel grateful for today?
- How do you tackle your fears?
- What was the best part of your day?
- What cheers you up when you are feeling sad?
- If you could go in a time machine, where would you go?
Conversation Topics For Teens
Being a teenager is a pretty difficult time! You are changing from a child to an adult, and are faced with a whole load of emotions. So, if you have teenagers in your life, it is great to have deep conversations with them to allow them to open up and discuss the world with you.
Here are some conversation topics that are great for teenagers.
- What can you do to make a difference in the world?
- Do you think it is ever okay to lie? If so, why?
- Do you worry about the future?
- What values are important in your life?
- What was your favorite book as a child? Do you ever reread it?
- What do you think you will be doing ten years from now?
- What are two things that you like about yourself?
- If you had a theme song, what would it be?
- What do you think the world will be like in 50 years?
Tips for Having Meaningful Conversations
Meaningful conversations are really important ways to forge deep relationships with those in your life, whether they are your friends, family members, or partners.
The conversation topics in this article are great ways of deepening your relationships, but what other top tips are there when it comes to having meaningful conversations?
Have you ever heard of that Chuck Palahnuik quote, ‘People don’t listen, they just wait for their turn to talk‘? In conversations with certain people, I will often think about it. Now, I don’t think it is always true, but I do think that sometimes we fall into this trap. Sometimes, we forget to actually listen to those that are talking to us.
So, when we are wanting to have meaningful conversations, we must keep this in mind. We want to get to know the person we are talking to, and therefore we must really pay attention to what they are saying.
In order to really get to know someone, it is important to ask questions, especially open-ended ones. Conversation topics about beliefs, wishes, and memories are all great ways to forge meaningful relationships with those in your life.
Once you begin to talk about something, carry on asking questions in order to fully get to know their point of view.
Try To Relate
No matter how different we think someone is, there will always be ways we can relate to them. Finding common ground is a really important way we can connect with others, allowing us to overcome prejudices and emotional distance.
If you are discussing something the person is passionate about, think about how you feel about the topic and what you are passionate about. Is there any common ground?
Don’t Shy Away From Differences
One reason why people avoid meaningful conversations is that they are worried about conflict. Our beliefs, fears, and desires are super important to us, and therefore we feel really strongly about them!
However, it is important to not shy away from differences. If everyone was the same, the world would be boring! So, discuss your differences of opinion with respect and try to see things from their perspective.
Avoid Self-Centered Conversations
In order to really bond with the person we are talking to, we must try to avoid self-centered conversations. Of course, it is important to discuss our own beliefs and goals, but we shouldn’t only discuss them.
What are your similarities and differences? What beliefs and goals do you share, and what ones do you disagree with?
Have meaningful Conversations With These Conversation Topics
Meaningful conversations allow us to form deep and important bonds with those in our lives, from the people we work with to our dates!
I hope that these conversation topics and tips will help you when you want to have meaningful conversations with people, allowing you to build trust and respect.