Psychometry is a great method to really hone your intuitive skills and abilities, such as clairvoyance, clairaudience, and mediumship. Our planet is going through a massive withdrawal of touch right now.
Handshakes and hugs have gone from expressions of joy and connection to activities riddled with fear. So, it seems more important than ever that we know, learn, and understand the importance of touch.
So what is psychometry? Psychometry, also known as clairtangency, is the ability to read information through touch. Even though the name ‘psychometry’ is fairly unknown outside of mediumship circles, it’s probably one of the forms of reading that most of us have heard of from representation in movies and the media.
Psychometry is a great form of psychic energy reading for beginners. The tactile need to hold someone’s personal object gives you something physical to focus on and will also give you a good boost of confidence. However, it is not to be confused with psychometrics, which involves different types of tests that measure IQs, emotional capacities, or learning abilities.
Because of the closeness between psychometry and psychometrics, many mediums chose to use the term Token-Object Reading instead.
If you are ready to learn about this age-old technique to perform psychic readings, read on to find out everything you will need to know.
Table of Contents
What Is Psychometry?
Psychometry is the ability to sense and read information through touch. More commonly this is applied to an inanimate objects such as jewelry, clothing, books, and even larger items like cars.
Psychometry, translated from Greek, literally means ‘Measuring The Soul’, a term that was first coined in 1842 by Joseph Rodes Buchanan. Buchanan was an American physician and professor of physiology. He gave his science the name Psychometry where he believed knowledge could be acquired directly by the ‘psychometer’ (the instrument of the soul).
Although Buchanan was a physician he denounced contemporary schools of medicine and promoted his scientific theories to spiritualists from the 1840s to the late 1800s.
Psychometry is based on Buchanan’s ideas that we leave behind resonating energy from our thoughts, actions, and feelings on the objects we come into contact with and that people who are sensitive to energy would be able to read the vibrations left behind.
How Does Psychometry Work?
I read the best way of understanding how psychometry works and I’d love to share it with you. It goes like this:
Have you ever stepped out of the shower, your mirrors all fogged up and so you use your finger to draw a smiley face, a heart, or even a sweet message for the next person. When the next person has a shower or a bath, the steam fills the room once more and your drawing or message becomes visible on the mirror once more. Sometimes it’s incredibly obvious to see, other times it’s very faded and hard to notice. This is how Psychometry works.
Well, similarly. That story was about the use of a physical fingerprint. With psychometry, we’re talking about an energetic fingerprint. One you don’t even realize you’re leaving behind and that many aren’t sensitive enough to see.
These vibrations, once a theory that was scoffed at, are slowly becoming more acceptable to believe in with the advancements in sciences such as quantum physics.
The idea that objects can hold onto our vibrations, or energy-based fingerprints, may have seemed utterly bonkers a few centuries ago, but now we understand that yes, at a sub-atomic level everything is a form of vibrating energy. So the idea that objects can hold onto these vibrational energy fingerprints from contact with humans is no longer crazy talk.
When it comes to reading this type of energy, it goes to say that the more energy an object holds, the more information you can gain from it. For example, a wedding ring, which is constantly on the finger of its possessor will have gleaned far more energy from its wearer than a hat that may only be used on really cold days.
Someone who reads objects tends to be called a Clairtangent person and when they hold these objects they can sense vibrations and receive impressions in the forms of images, smells, sounds, and even emotions. They can even witness experiences from the previous owner of the object.
How To do Psychometry?
It’s very easy to learn psychometry, having a sensitivity makes learning this form of reading far easier but that’s not to say you can’t learn to hone your abilities and sensitivities over time with plenty of practice. In fact, psychometry is probably one of the easiest types of psychic abilities for a beginner to explore.
It’s a very intuitive practice, so if you feel disconnected from your own intuition you may want to work on improving your connection with your inner self
- Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly to wash off any residual energy.
- Rub your hands together to get the energy flowing, that heat you create from rubbing your palms together is a physical representation of flowing energy.
- Now, slowly pull your hands apart, no more than 1/4 of an inch. You should get a feeling of energy flowing in between your hands. Some describe it as a ‘thick’ feeling. If you can’t feel it, don’t worry, just keep moving your hands together to get the energy flowing until you do.
- Hold an object in the palm of your hands. Make as much physical contact with the object as possible. The object should be an item that has been worn or used regularly by the previous owner/s.
- Close your eyes and take a calm and deep breath.
- Now ask yourself these questions, internally.
- Who owns this object?
- How does the owner act, think, feel?
- Is the owner of the object still living or have they passed away?
- What kind of experiences has the owner had while they possessed the object.
- Now allow the information to filter organically through your being. These may just be emotions, feelings, thoughts but you may also experience sounds, images, and messages.
- If you feel as though you are blocking yourself from accepting information go back to asking questions until you are ready to open yourself up.
You may find you don’t experience anything the first few times you try to read an object but with practice, you will find it easier, and much faster, for the energy of the object to flow into your hands and the information contained within to reveal itself.
If you are feeling out of sorts yourself, say you’ve had a bad day or received some bad personal news your energy may not be aligned to receive any information and it may be best to hold off the reading for another day where your mind, emotions, and heart are far calmer.
Just remember, practice does make perfect.
7 Signs That You Are Clairtangent
You may be wondering if there is a way to tell if you already possess psychometric or clairtangent abilities. As I said before you don’t need to be a fully-fledged psychic to start your journey into psychometry. Because most Clair psychic abilities rely on the medium’s intuitive skills it is something you can work at improving. However, some of us naturally have more honed clairtangent skills without even trying.
Here are seven signs that may mean you are naturally clairtangent.
- You feel an overwhelming desire to thoroughly wash your hands after handling objects, especially rocks or crystals.
- You can’t buy or wear second-hand clothing or jewelry, even being in a thrift store can make you feel overwhelmed. You prefer sustainably made clothing and brands.
- Feeling uncomfortable in cluttered spaces.
- Sometimes when you purchase or are gifted items you feel an unexplainable need to pass it on or get rid of it
- You may be overwhelmed by an emotion, such as sadness or joy when holding photographs of others
- You have experienced images or sounds when touching an old object or being in an old place
- Unable to use or purchase second-hand furniture. You may experience an explainable but overwhelming feeling when in a used furniture store or sitting on a family heirloom couch.
If you haven’t experienced any of these signs it doesn’t mean you can’t evolve and train yourself to be able to read objects. It just means that perhaps you’re not quite as in touch with the vibrational energy that surrounds us. In a world that is increasingly disconnected from nature and the organic beings that we share our planet with, it’s unsurprising that many of us bury our sensitivities far deeper than we realize.
How To Develop Your Clairtangent Abilities
It’s completely possible to train yourself to experience clairtangent abilities. However, it does require patience and frequency. Everyone has varying levels of intuition, and psychometry, at its core, is all about you connecting with your intuition. Luckily for us, it’s incredibly easy to boost your intuitive powers and, in turn, develop any clairtangent abilities.
Here are some very easy methods that, if you are conscious and frequently practice them, may help you to improve your touch reading abilities.
Reconnect With Your Intuition
All of the Clair mediums require a strong level of connection to your inner self and your intuition. Our world and the way our society runs can have harmful effects on how we trust and interpret our intuition and it’s something that we need to constantly work to keep connected. Some ways you can help improve your intuition are:
- Get creative- painting, sewing, singing, or dancing. Whatever creative activity lights your fire.
- Pay attention to your dreams
- Spend more time in nature, preferably barefoot
Balance And Empower Your Chakras
Chakras are the spiritual energy centers of the body. When in sync, your energy flows freely, comfortably, and with joy through each and every part of your body but when blocked you can feel stifled, depressed, and powerless.
Your third eye chakra, also known as your sixth sense, is located in the center of your forehead. It controls and affects your intuition and psychic abilities and with meditation and yoga, you can help to open this chakra and develop your intuitive abilities.
Develop Your Sense of Touch
Since your sense of touch is paramount to being able to read objects it’s obvious that honing your ability to feel the energy when you handle objects is incredibly important. To this, all you need to do is become more consciously aware when you are touch things.
Try to notice the sensations and vibrations you feel when holding objects. Choose objects that are very personal to you or others and sit quietly, with your eyes closed, as you allow the energy to flow from the object into your fingers and palms.
Yoga and Meditation
Yoga and meditation are fantastic methods for opening you up to the vibrational frequencies that surround us. Focus on your breathing and how different parts of your body feel and allow your mind to wander. Make Sure you choose a time each day where you can practice peacefully every single day. You don’t need to do this for hours, just five minutes every day will help you to open your mind and release any negative energies that may be blocking your senses.
Declutter Your Spaces
Those of us with natural clairtangent abilities already find cluttered spaces and homes to be overwhelming. Cleaning spaces that you spend a lot of time in, your home, car, or workspace, for example, will help to remove distractions and energies that may block your intuitive abilities.
Considering every object possesses its own vibrational energy, just remember the more clutter you have lying around, the more energy frequencies you will have bouncing off one another. This overload of energies can be exhausting and also far too loud to practice psychometry.
Test Your Clairtangent Skills Regularly
Practice is key to developing strong clairtangent abilities. You can do this by asking friends or family to bring you personal objects that you’ve never touched before. Follow the steps to practice psychometry and write down what you think and feel as you hold their object. Once you have finished you can ask your friend or family member if your observation matches their experiences. Don’t worry if you get this wrong a lot in the beginning. With time you will become more intone with the objects you read.
Practical Applications of Psychometry
Psychometry is a very powerful psychic ability that many professional physics have used in a wide variety of ways. You may have heard of some of them already thanks to popular media, but there may be a few that surprise you.
Clairtangent psychics have been used to help solve crimes for many years by holding or touching the objects of missing persons and murder crimes. There are many television programs, such as the program Medium starring Patricia Arquette, that have introduced many people to the idea that psychic readings can be very useful in crime situations. However, most places view psychic-based evidence as inadmissible in court.
For Antiquarians and Historians
Psychometry psychic readings obtain information from antique objects, or specific places just by touching them or being a strongly vibrational location. This can help historians and antiquarians with antique items and historic theories.
However, these professionals don’t rely solely on these psychic readings, as they tend to observe the information collected through these readings as theoretical, and rather use them to point them in the correct direction.
Personal Psychometry Readings
Most professional psychics provide reading services to the general public. This may help you to connect with a loved one after they have passed. Find out about how they felt and thought while they were still alive. These types of readings can also help people with life decisions, working through past issues, or reconnecting with someone they never had a chance to meet.
Psychometry is a fantastic place to start if you are just learning about psychic abilities and readings. If you have already experienced some clairtangent abilities you’ll find it very easy to learn how to read objects reliably and for those who are starting from the very beginning, you’ll find that within no time at all you’ll begin to notice everything you touch fizzes with its own vibrational energy.
I am quite experienced:
1) Around 14.30 HR, I got home from work. I reclined on the sofa. A tremendous weight immediately appeared on my chest. I put my right hand on my chest, felt hair or a head, and said in my thinking, “Get up please, you are heavy.” He did, and I saw him in the picture frame hanging on my wall.
2) Before 6:00 HR, my boyfriend left for work. But after a short while, I heard a key turn and footsteps enter my bedroom. I believed he returned for some unknown reason. He had kissed my left cheek while kneeling down and sinking into my bed. I reach out to touch him, but no one was there.
3) It was winter. My doorbell rang at twelve midnight which astonished me. It was my girl friend’s boyfriend. Because he believed his girlfriend could be at my house, I opened the door for him. He wanted to stay the night, but as soon as he heard a noise a teaspoon made in my kitchen, knowing I was alone, he quickly left my place. I thanked my guardian.
4) I was with 4 friends. We drove to one of these friend’s house to attend a party. As we arrived there, I was introduced to a lady. That was all. We all went back home after the party. Weeks had passed. One night, I turned off the lights. My room suddenly lit up bright and I saw a lady sitting by my side of the bed. There were three dogs with her. We were staring at each other. She smiled at me. i was just looking at her. The next day, one co-worker told me, “she is gone” – It was the lady introduced to me in that party. She passed away after a long battle with cancer.
5) I was requested to help a friend set up his musical equipment for a party. I drove alone to that party. The celebration began at 18:00 HR and lasted until 5:00 HR the following day. I was really worn out. I had to drive back home. A screeching voice called my name !!! I opened my eyes. My car was running on its own as I slept !!! I expressed gratitude to my protector/guardian.
I had a woman test me by giving me her suns key ring when I was visiting California when I was in my early 20’s. She handed the key ring & told me to tell her the first thing that came to my mind so I did as she said. She said I was 100% right. I have not tried to do it since. I have seen a dead friend that appeared to me around 4 years ago too. When I was 16 I saw what looked like a grim reaper but he had no fase.His face was totally black. When I was around 5 I saw 2 men come into my bedroom at night. One of the men was short & the other man was tall & he was holding a hatchet. I put my head under the covers & started praying. When I was around 5 or 6 I saw a little boy in my house in the downstairs bedroom. I was looking for someone but he was just standing in the corner of the room by the window. I turned & walked out of the room back down the hall before I realized I did not know him. I then went back to that bedroom to see who he was but he had vanished.
I can walk into a room full of people & I feel a bit uncomfortable. I can feel feelings off of people. Some good feelings & some bad feelings. I can see supernatural lights too. Some looks like orbs & some of them are blinking. I also see what looks like little tiny stars. They are there for only a second & vanish. I seen a cloud the hight of a man walk through my house for around 5 to 7 days straight. I believe it was my older brother trying to contact me. He promiced if he died before me he would try to contact me. I have seen other supernatural things too. I have dreams that come true too.
What an interesting comment, Susan. I hope you are doing okay!